Orientation to Online Learning
Online Learning Success
Your success with online classes is very important. A key to success in an online course is an awareness of the following:
- What it takes to be a distance learning student
- How to use the University of Hawai‘i Course Management System which is called Laulima
- Technical requirements for accessing course material and participating in online courses
- What instructors expect of distance learning students
- Expectations regarding availability of online faculty
During the semester, refer to the Laulima tutorials and FAQs if you encounter problems or have questions about using this website.
Distance Learning overview
Distance learning provides access to education through a network of various technologies. You will interact with your instructor and fellow students at a distance without having to be physically present in the same location. Coursework will take place online and is accessible 24 hours a day 7 days a week either at home, at school, or wherever you have access to a computer.
Distance learning classes will give you more scheduling flexibility and convenience but online learning is very different from traditional classroom learning. Online learning requires you to be self-directed, self-motivated and self-disciplined to keep up with your course commitments.
Communication with your instructor is essential. Contact your instructor about any concerns or questions you may have prior to the start of instruction and at anytime throughout the course.